Are you wanting advice on immune boosters for the winter? If you answered yes, read on for tips to improve your immune defences.
Are You Sick of Feeling Sick?
Do you shudder when you hear someone cough nearby because you just know you’re going to get sick? Do you often complete a course of antibiotics to treat an infection, only for it to return a month later? You are not alone! Hordes of people are frequently unwell with upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), influenza (flu), ear infections, and a multitude of other recurrent infections. So what is it that decreases your immune system function – and what can you do about it?
Has Your Immune System Gone on Strike?
Several factors have the potential to diminish your immune function and make you more susceptible to getting sick; these include stress, a lack of regular exercise, inadequate sleep, and poor nutrition. Frequent antibiotic use, which often goes hand in hand with repeated infections, can also contribute to lowered immunity. It’s true that antibiotics serve an essential purpose in eliminating bacterial infections to help you feel well again. However, they are commonly overprescribed for viral infections (such as colds, flus, and URTIs), even though they do not have any effect against viruses.
This overuse of antibiotics can not only reduce their efficacy, but also unbalance the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut, further compromising your immunity. So you may be asking “what’s the solution?” Fortunately, there are natural treatments available which can help to strengthen your immune system and keep you well for longer.
Immune Boosters to Combat Infection
Can you imagine a life in which you feel vibrant and healthy? With the correct immune support and immune boosters, this could be a reality! Ask your Practitioner about the following natural immune boosters:
Coriolus: This medicinal mushroom increases the production of immune cells that help you fight off infections more effectively.
Reishi: Another medicinal mushroom which exerts potent antiviral activity to help you recover faster.
Astragalus: A well-known immune enhancing herb which can reduce the occurrence of reinfection. Astragalus also helps to restore your energy levels after being sick.
Lifestyle Tips to Improve Your Immune Defences
In addition to taking immune enhancing herbs and mushrooms, there are numerous ways you can support healthy immunity through your diet and lifestyle choices:
1. Rest! You may be surprised by how effective your immune system can be when you give it a chance. Ensure you get a good night’s sleep and let your body work its magic.
2. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. These foods contain abundant immune supportive vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and zinc.
3. Go for garlic and ginger. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and an immune booster. Ginger helps to warm you up and fends off illness by reducing inflammation.
4. Drink plenty of water. It is essential that you keep hydrated. When you are unwell, fluids are rapidly lost through having a runny nose, coughing, and sweating.
5. Unwind. While it may be difficult to reduce stress in your life, it is possible to manage stress more effectively. Participate in yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises 3 to 4 times a week, or as often as needed.
Keep Your Immune Game Strong
Another way that you can ward off infection is by ensuring you have sufficient stores of some key vitamins and minerals that support and improve immune health, such as:
Vitamin C – sources include red and yellow capsicum, citrus fruits (especially oranges), kiwi fruit, strawberries, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and even the humble tomato.
Zinc – at the initial signs of a viral or bacterial infection, zinc deploys infection-fighting white blood cells to destroy it. Food sources of zinc include seafood, meat, wheat germ, spinach, seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sesame), nuts (especially cashews), and beans (e.g. chickpeas, adzuki).
Embrace A Life Of Wellness!
If recurrent infections are an issue for you, speak with your Practitioner today about boosting your immune function to get well and stay well. Kick sickness to the kerb, break the antibiotic cycle and enjoy a life of health, happiness and vitality!